Changed travel regulations during and after the corona pandemic
Upon entry, a PCR test must be presented, which must not be older than 72 hours. This does not apply to children under 10 years of age. A five-day quarantine is then mandatory. This can be done at home, in a hotel or at another location. Alternatively, collective accommodation and so-called “health hotels” are also available.
A new PCR test must be carried out after five days of quarantine. If the test is negative, the quarantine is over; if the test is positive, the quarantine is extended by a further seven days. Travelers must complete an online health form from the Paraguayan Ministry of Health within 24 hours prior to entry.
Foreigners from non-Mercosur and associated countries (Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, Venezuela, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Peru, Suriname) who do not have a residence permit in Paraguay and are only temporarily staying in the country must with Proof of valid health insurance coverage upon arrival, which also covers medical treatment in the event of COVID-19 illness.
Persons who were verifiably ill with COVID-19 within the last 14 to 90 days before entry are exempt from submitting a negative PCR test, but must prove this with appropriate laboratory results.
General provisions for travel and residence (until the corona pandemic)
Germans, Swiss or Austrians do not need a visa to enter Paraguay. All that is required for entry is a valid passport, which is valid for at least 6 months after entry. This gives you a 90-day residence permit, which can be extended once for a further 90 days by applying to the Paraguayan immigration authorities for a fee.
You can find more detailed information on the documents and on entering the country with pets on the website of the Paraguayan embassy in Berlin at embapar.de.
Vaccinations and miscellaneous
No vaccinations are required. Malaria prophylaxis is often recommended by European doctors, but in Paraguay there are practically no known cases of malaria. Dengue fever occurs occasionally, depending on the region and the season. However, this can be dealt with on site.
If you are entering from a yellow fever area, yellow fever protection is mandatory for people aged 1 and over. The yellow fever vaccination card must then be presented upon entry.
AIDS factor: 3,200 reported cases.
Special health risks: none
Learn a foreign language in a very short time
Do you already speak the language of your new home? Or would you like to have a good command of the foreign language on site while on vacation? Then take advantage of the unique language courses with which you can learn a new language such as South American Spanish in the shortest possible time.
Special features and advantages at a glance
- No European stress
- No winter depression as there are around 300 days of sun per year
- Green and blooming all year round, mostly warm weather
- Sun ripened tropical fruits from our own garden
- Life close to nature
- Low electricity costs, as electricity is generated almost 100% from hydropower (no nuclear reactors)
- Very low property taxes
- Very low or no heating costs
- Lower cost of living (LHK-I 48.9), unless you want German products
- Politically, economically, war-wise uninteresting country (army of only 1,000 soldiers)
- No earthquakes or hurricanes
- Low population density
- Foreigner-friendly residents
- Over 200,000 German-speaking residents
- Some schools with German lessons, some German doctors, restaurants, etc.
- Affordable doctors and naturopaths (many naturopathic treatments, herbs, etc.)
- Inexpensive domestic workers, gardeners, etc.
- Easy immigration terms
- Little capital required for immigration, house, furniture + car (from 50,000 euros) because of low land and construction costs
- No restrictive building regulations
- Low taxes (e.g. only 10% VAT)
- No taxation of foreign assets or income
- Uncomplicated commercial activity